Tottenham restored their pursuit of a location in the Premier League leading four as they came from behind to beat Brighton in north London.
The outcome lifts Spurs as much as 5th in the table, three points behind fourth-placed Chelsea, who lost 2-0 in your home to Southampton in the future Thursday.
Adam Webster had actually provided the visitors a highly been worthy of lead, heading in from Pascal Gross’ right-wing delivery towards the end of the first half.
However, Spurs, who dipped into a pedestrian speed during the first duration, raised their tempo after the period to combat back.
Harry Kane levelled matters with a right-foot shot into the bottom left corner after Brighton goalkeeper Mat Ryan had actually remarkably parried his first effort.
And Dele Alli’s sublime lobbed finish then discovered the leading left corner to complete the turnaround.
It guaranteed Brighton’s miserable record on 26 December continued – with the Seagulls now winless in their last 11 games on this date.
- Ndombele asked to be excluded – Mourinho
- Follow all today’s Premier League action
- Federal government warning over football racism
Kane, Alli and Moura galvanise Spurs
Tottenham won 60%of their Premier League matches while finishing 4th last term and although this win ensured an improvement (71%) on that ratio during Mourinho’s first 7 video games in charge, the Portuguese employer still faces a significant difficulty to guide his side into a Champions League location at the end of the season.
Defeats versus Manchester United and Chelsea have actually been damaging in that regard and Tottenham entered into this match requiring 15 success from their staying 20 video games simply to reproduce last season’s 71- point tally.
However the way of this success and the second-half efficiencies of Kane, Alli and Lucas Moura will a minimum of supply Mourinho with optimism.
Mourinho had won simply among his last 21 Premier League matches when his side tracked at the period however that trio galvanised Tottenham after the break, triggering their recovery.
Brazil winger Moura was pivotal to that, prompting much of Tottenham’s attacks and assisting to shift the momentum of the game.
While in Kane, Spurs have one of the most dangerous finishers in the top flight.
The England forward had the ball in the internet with his first chance midway through the very first half, but the video assistant referee deemed he was offside when getting Harry Winks’ long pass.
Kane was then brilliantly rejected by Ryan, however exhibited his predatory impulses to drive in a follow-up and raise his eighth goal in 5 Premier League games on 26 December.
Alli, who covered more ground than any other home player, continued his and Spurs’ resurgence under Mourinho, with an elegant finish to register his fourth Premier League goal under his new manager.
Brighton fall short again
This seemed like a common Brighton performance throughout, one overflowing with pledge and endeavour but ultimately lacking the cutting edge required for them to make money from their free-flowing passing.
An intense start by the visitors saw Colombia midfielder Steven Alzate two times manoeuvre into great positions in front of objective.
However, the former Leyton Orient midfielder fired tamely large after 4 minutes and after that saw Spurs keeper Paulo Gazzaniga parry his firmer effort to safety 9 minutes later.
Having been reprieved by VAR – when Kane’s first-half objective was prohibited – Brighton then put themselves in the position to win for the very first time on 26 December since2005
Webster reprised the function played by Guy Butters that day, climbing greatest from Gross’ exemplary delivery from the right to nod the ball into the bottom left corner.
It disappeared than the visitors deserved and in numerous ways it was emblematic of the very first half, with fixed marker Toby Alderweireld not able to stop his male.
And while Gross twice went near to earning his side a point from distance – with Gazzaniga conserving both – his efforts represented the Seagulls’ only two shots on target after the break and underlined where they had actually fallen short again.
Guy of the match – Dele Alli (Tottenham)
‘ Our spirit was wonderful’ – what they said
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho: ” The spirit in the 2nd half was so important. We did not start effectively, we scored a stunning objective which was offside and after that they went on and scored. Brighton were extremely difficult to control. Our spirit was fantastic. We made some modifications in the second half, we equalled their numbers in midfield and that gave us more ownership. It was difficult until the end however extremely crucial.
” We can not lose two in a row, the work-rate was actually brave. I told the boys to focus on this video game and to offer every last piece of energy we have. I think when you lost a video game it harms. If you are not injure then you are not dedicated. You require to be emotionally strong. You need to recover quickly which did not happen today. It was hard. Fantastic spirit by the players.”
On Brighton: “I wish to state that Brighton were excellent – tactically. They can adjust, they can alter. They are really unsafe on set-pieces.”
Brighton manager Graham Potter, talking to BBC Sport: “I believed it was quite an even video game in regards to shots and opportunities. You would anticipate Tottenham to have a bit of pressure. We are dissatisfied to come away with nothing. Those great little margins, little details we need to do better.
” I believed we had some excellent minutes in the half and we added to a great first-half efficiency. The little information you require to go your way they didn’t. We require to dust ourselves down and go once again. We need to stick, stick to what we are doing and move on.”
Kane shines in December once again – the stats
- Tottenham are unbeaten in their last 14 Boxing Day league games (W11 D3), given that losing 2-0 at Portsmouth in 2003 – extending their longest unbeaten work on December 26 th.
- Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has actually never lost in 8 Premier League video games on Boxing Day (W6 D2), managing more games without defeat on the day than any other supervisor in the competitors.
- Brighton have lost five of their last 6 away league video games played on Boxing Day (D1), consisting of losing both such games in the Premier League (also 2-0 versus Chelsea in 2017).
- Dele Alli has been straight involved in more goals in all competitors under Mourinho than any other Tottenham player (5 objectives and three helps in eight looks).
- Tottenham’s Harry Kane has scored 8 objectives in 5 Premier League video games on Boxing Day – just Robbie Fowler (9 goals in 10 looks) has scored more on 26 December in the competition. Indeed, Kane has bagged 26 Premier League goals in the month of December – 10 more than he has in any other month in the competitors.
- Kane has now scored 100 house objectives in 172 appearances in all competitions at club level, with 90 of those coming for Spurs (5 for Millwall, three for Leyton Orient, two for Leicester City).
- Pascal Gross has supplied 15 helps for Brighton in the Premier League, 8 more than any other Seagulls player in the competition.
- Brighton defender Adam Webster has actually scored as numerous objectives in his 15 Premier League games this season (three) as he netted in 44 Championship matches for Bristol City last term.
Tottenham travel to Carrow Road to face struggling Norwich on Saturday, 28 December (17: 30 GMT), while Brighton host Bournemouth on the exact same day (12: 30).